“I don’t have enough money to eat healthy or go to the gym.”
I hear and read it all them time.
Welcome to the world of excuses.
I’m not judging you. I have the same thoughts from time to time. But then I remember: There are various ways to deal with this excuse. Let’s look at three of them.
What would you do?
Buy a lottery ticket? Go to Las Vegas? Open a lemonade stand?
All valid ideas, but the ones making the most money realized that $5 is almost nothing to begin with, so they changed the question to: “What can we do to earn money when we have $0?”
Through this way of thinking they got rid of the money as a limited resource. You can do the same with your health. Stop using money as an excuse for your bad health. There are a lot of free things you can do.
Below I’ll list 33 things you can do to upgrade your health without spending any money.
Our Recent Holistic Living Video
- Once an hour stand up and walk around for 5 minutes. Studies have shown that too much sitting is bad for your health. This also works great with the “Pomodoro technique” which advises to have a 5 minute break after 25 (or more) minutes of focused work. (You can use the “Time Out” app for this, it’s free).
- Drink your coffee without the sugar.
- Don’t drink soda.
- Go outside (in the sun) for at least 10 minutes. Sunlight will promote vitamin D production in your body, which is a good thing since 40–75% of people are vitamin D deficient. Sunlight during the day also helps your circadian rhythm and lets you sleep better at night.
- Avoid bright lights and screens before bed. They worsen your sleep.
- Exercise at home. Pushups, squats, planks. You don’t need a gym for that.
- Use a nail brush to clean your nails. Nails are often the “dirtiest” spot on the body. Try to keep them clean. (If you don’t have a nail brush, this might cost a few bucks. Sorry :/)
- Sit on the toilet the better way.
- Think of 3 (or more) things you are grateful for. Write them down if you want to. Try to list 100.
- Once a day give your eyes a break and only look in the distance for at least 30 minutes.
- Install f.lux on your PC. (Since there is a chance that you are using a pc or mac to read this, you can install f.lux (it’s free) which decreases the blue light (which is bad for your sleep) in the evening.)
- Take a walk or go jogging/running.
- Laugh. Did you know that kids laugh around 300 times a day and adults only 5 times? What happened? Laughing is very good for your health, so do it more often! Watch a youtube video or read a joke.
- Meditate. Studies have shown that meditating is good for all aspects of your health.
- Do a breathing exercise. 4–7–8 is a popular breathing technique. 4 secs in, 7 secs. hold, 8 secs. out (with a noise).
- Eat slowly.
- Eat only until you are 80% full. This a popular advice from the Blue Zones and they seem to be healthy.
- Fast. This will not only cost nothing, but save you money and time. Do it for 12 hours, 24 hours or a few days, but educate yourself before doing it.
- Don’t worry. Worrying is bad and unnecessary. Think about your most recent worries, weren’t they useless? Worrying gets your away from the present and into the future, which is, as I said, useless most of the time.
- Don’t stress yourself. It’s the same as worrying: useless.
- Don’t smoke. (Obvious, but also generic. I admit it. No matter it even saves you money.)
- Avoid sunburns. You should go into the sun, as mentioned above, but at the same time you should avoid sunburns.
- Put your phone in airplane mode when going to bed. This decreases the amount of radiation during your sleep and decreases the probability of unnecessary interruptions during the night.
- Drink a glass of water after waking up. It gives you energy and restores the fluids you lost during the night.
- Hug somebody for at least 6 seconds. This releases oxytocin, a chemical in our body, that let’s you feel good and promotes health.
- Play. Whatever you like: play a game (you can borrow them somewhere), play catch, etc.
- Take a cold shower.
- Walk barefoot.
- Finally start using all those spices and herbs you already have at home. Most of them will be beneficial for your health.
- Switch your coffee for tea sometimes (if you drink coffee. Choose green tea which is really healthy. This also prevents you from getting “addicted” to the caffeine.)
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Drink enough water.