The use of natural products and herbal remedies to counter the effects of health related problems has seen a sharp upward trend in the US in the last decade. This blog post takes a look at the 10 Most Common Health Problems in America and aligns the most popular natural and herbal remedies used to counter these conditions.
Mayo Clinic recently conducted an in-depth study to discover the top 10 health problems in America. According to their research there are many different health problems that vary to some extent between men and women whereas there are some that are common to both genders.
Below are the Top 10 Health Problems in America along with their corresponding natural and herbal remedies.
In America, heart diseases that end up in heart attacks and strokes actually kill more people than all the forms of cancer combined. In fact, a recent study published by the American Heart Association states that heart diseases have the highest death rate in comparison to any other disease.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation surrounding heart diseases and its causes. For example, in a recent study, cardiologists Dr. Dwight Lundell and Dr. Stephen Sinatra argued that fat and cholesterol are not the main culprits responsible for hardening of the arteries and heart disease. Rather they deemed fat, even saturated fats from healthy sources, as necessary and stated that on the contrary low fat diets are dangerous.
Having said that, there are numerous natural and herbal remedies that are commonly used to counter the effects of America’s Number 1 killer.
Natural and Herbal Remedies for Heart Diseases
- Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids. According to the vast majority of doctors, maintaining a proper intake of omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3 as an inflammatory factor in the standard American diet is highly recommended. Luckily, Omega-3 is widely available in supplement form for such patients.
- Just as doctors prescribe increasing the intake of a particular natural product, they advise cutting down on others. In that respect avoiding oils that are processed by heat or hydrogenated is on top of the list.
- Increase your magnesium intake. Magnesium is regarded as the most important ignored mineral. Involving more than 300 metabolic processes, magnesium directly affects heart health especially with regards to heart beat regulation. Surprisingly though, most Americans are magnesium deficient.
- Pomegranate juice is another nature’s miracle that helps unblock arteries by minimizing artery thickness.
- According to preliminary research, the wonder herb garlic may hinder the development of atherosclerosis. However, studies on garlic’s cholesterol- and blood-pressure-lowering effects have yielded mixed results so far.
- In 2009, scientists conducted a study of 3408 older adults trying to pin point the effect of inadequate vitamin D levels on heart health. Their discovery led to the conclusion that patients with vitamin D deficiency were three times more likely to develop heart diseases. Vitamin D is another popular supplement that is easily available and is widely touted as being beneficial against a number of cardiovascular risk factors, including high blood pressure and inflammation.
Amongst the many different manifestations of cancer, lung cancer is the most common amongst both men and women. Breast cancer along with colorectal cancers is also widespread among women in the United States. There are however a number of natural and herbal remedies that are deemed effective against the pain and causes of cancer.
Natural and Herbal Remedies for Cancer
The general understanding with regards to alternative cancer treatments is that they won’t play any role in curing your cancer, but they may help you cope with signs and symptoms caused by cancer as well as the inconveniences caused by major cancer treatments.
- Rosemary is a common garden herb often used in cooking. It contains a naturally occurring fatty acid that encourages cancer cells in tumors to stop reproducing and eventually die.
- Another common herb, parsley is known to be effective against cancer because of a special ingredient called apigenine that it contains. This natural oil has been shown to prevent angiogenesis which is the growth of blood vessels that supply cancerous tumors with nutrients.
- Thyme is endowed with an essential oil that is rich in thymol. Thymol, along with rosmarinic and ursolic acids areterpenes and are considered to be helpful against cancerous cells. At the same time, thyme also has extremely strong anti-septic and antioxidant properties.
- Mint, often used for flavoring is rich in a phytochemical that has been known to cut off the blood supply to cancer tumors thereby resulting in their untimely death.
- Green Tea as a potent source of cancer fighting antioxidants has also been deemed effective in the prevention and treatment of cancer.
- Hypnosis, massage, meditation, relaxation techniques are widely recommended to cancer patients suffering from anxiety and fatigue
According to the list on the Top 10 Health Problems in America, strokes occupy the third spot on the list. Strokes cause brain cells to die because of lack of oxygen and can be triggered by obstruction of blood flow to the brain or ruptured arteries amongst other things.
Natural and Herbal Remedies for Stroke
- The primary cause of strokes is an unhealthy lifestyle. As such, the main natural remedy to avoid strokes or to recover from one is to make fundamental changes in your lifestyle.
- Coenzyme Q-10also known by its shortened nickname CoQ-10 is an oil-soluble supplement considered as a lifesaver for stroke recovery. CoQ-10 assists the body in manufacturing of ATP, which is considered the building block of cellular energy. For patients recovering from stroke, Coq-10 is an essential and effective energy booster.
- Vitamin B6 and B12 are also on the list of natural and herbal remedies for stroke. B6 has long been linked to increased mental energy, clarity, and function whereas B12 is involved in the metabolic function of every cell in the body making it essential for patients recovering from such trauma.
- Fish oil is another natural supplement that has received tremendous media attention in the last couple of years. For stroke victims, Fish Oil helps by improving mental health and nervous system function. It can also help prevent coronary artery disease which is common following a stroke.
- Yet another herb that makes the list of effective natural remedies for stroke victims is Ginkgo Biloba. This wonder herb works by improving blood flow to most organs in the body, including the brain.
Respiratory diseases or breathing problems are often born out of medical conditions like asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Although they vary in nature, their basic mechanism is the same. They constrict your airways, fill up your lungs with mucus and thereby reduce your lungs natural air capacity. Luckily there are a wide variety of natural and herbal remedies that have proven to be effective in the treatment of such respiratory diseases.
Natural and Herbal Remedies for Respiratory Diseases
- Ginkgo Biloba, often touted as this century’s “wonder herb” is believed to be effective in fighting asthma symptoms. In particular, Ginkgo extract can help block platelet-activating factor which is a specific compound known for instigating asthma symptoms.
- Dried Ivy Leaf is also another herbal treatment deemed effective against asthma symptoms. There have been a few medical studies on ivy leaf benefits for respiratory diseases however the results are mixed. Nonetheless, it was found to improve oxygen and airflow, especially in younger children with bronchial asthma.
- Horseradish is another such herb that is used for a variety of health related problems such as for the treatment of bladder disorders, glandular disorders, nosebleeds, internal bleeding, tuberculosis and urinary disorders. At the same time, this nature’s miracle can help restore normal lung functioning in patients suffering from asthma or COPD.
- The bark of the wild cherry tree is another natural remedy that has been found to be effective in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis and other breathing related health problems.
- With its anti-inflammatory effects, Mullein can help in treating breathing problems. Patients suffering from such problems can make use of mullein to clear their lungs of mucus which is one of the main reasons for breathing problems.
According to latest reports, Alzheimer’s disease is the fifth-leading cause of death in women, and the tenth in men. Unfortunately, it has not yet been determined what exactly causes this disease however there is slight evidence that heart disorders and head injuries may be linked to the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
Natural and HerbalRemedies for Alzheimer’s Disease
- There is strong evidence to suggest that Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil can effectively help in preventing cognitive decline and delaying degradation that may lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vitamin E has been effective in delaying the loss of ability to carry out daily activities in older people and as such can help prevent and/or delay the effects of Alzheimer’s disease. However, excess of vitamin E can have negative impact on the body.
- Ginkgo makes its way to the list of herbal remedies that are effective against Alzheimers as well. The plant extract contains several substances that are believed to be effective in delaying the effects of this disease.
- Co-enzyme Coq10 is yet another natural supplement that acts as a catalyst whose presence speeds up energy production in the body. This readily available supplement is easy to add to your diet and is one of the simplest and most effective ways to ensure your body receives an antioxidant essential for maintaining proper heart health and boosting overall immunity and energy production.
Influenza & Pneumonia
Influenza is perhaps one of the most common non-lethal health problems faced by a majority of people in the US. However, the immune system’s inability to fight off the common cold can lead to more severe cases where it develops into pneumonia which can be potentially fatal. So what are some natural and herbal remedies you can take to prevent this from happening?
Natural and Herbal Remedies for Influenza & Pneumonia
- Echinacea is one of the most widely used natural products in the US. This wonder herb was brought back to life when archeological findings discovered that the Native Americans made extensive use of this nature’s miracle to treat a host of infections, including the common flu.
- Ginger root from fresh plants is considered a warming botanical which has been used in traditional medicine from India to Arabia since thousands of years. The warming nature of this root also helps to prevent influenza from turning into a severe case of pneumonia.
- Elderberry extract is commonly used to prepare a special kind of herbal tea. However, the extract has proven to be specifically active against bacteria that cause influenza. It does this by blocking the replication of these bacteria immediately thereby limiting its effect on the body.
- Known to be effective in the treatment of respiratory problems, andrographis may also help reduce the severity and duration of influenza.
- Known for its “antiviral” properties and strong bitter taste, the herb boneset can help dry out mucous and stimulate digestion of toxins. This is why herbalists recommend the use of this herb for the treatment of influenza.
Diabetes, in particular type 2 diabetes is one of the leading causes of death amongst men and women in the United States. Often leading to kidney damage, blindness and heart diseases, this dangerous disease is characterized by the body’s inability to move digested carbohydrates and sugars into cells. While it is generally “managed” with the help of insulin shots which is necessary to shuttle these nutrients to the cells, there are a variety of herbal remedies that have been deemed effective against diabetes.
Natural and Remedies for Diabetes
- The Black Seed, popularly known as the cure for all diseases except death tops the list for natural remedies for diabetes. Black seed can be taken directly in the form of seeds or brewed in the form of tea to help with management of diabetes.
- Ginseng is also known for its anti-diabetic properties. Like the Black Seed mentioned above Ginseng, with its many varieties falls into the “cure-all” category and can be effective for treatment of diabetes.
- Perhaps one of the oldest natural remedies for diabetes is cinnamon. It is believed that cinnamon is effective in bringing glucose levels down as well as reduce levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Patients with diabetes are often recommend a diet rich in Olive Oil as it has been discovered that olive oil helps reduce blood levels including LDL and triglycerides.
- Increasing the intake of Vitamin C helps to normalize sugar levels in the body. Vitamin C is believed to be one of the fastest acting natural remedies for diabetics eventually helping them to avoid long term effects of diabetes like eye and nerve damage.
Caused by high blood pressure, diabetes or genetic predispositions, kidney diseases also make their way into the top 10 health problems faced by America. Kidney diseases vary in nature and kind and can range from the genetic polycystic kidney disease to kidney stones, infections and renal agenesis.
Natural and Herbal Remedies for Kidney Disease
- If you’re suffering from Kidney Stones, the use of Apple Cider Vinegar may help break them down.
- Increasing the intake of watermelons in your daily diet is another traditional remedy that helps with breaking down of kidney stones.
- According to British researchers, baking soda or the common sodium bicarbonate is also an effective treatment for kidney diseases as it is helpful in slowing down the progression of chronic kidney disease.
- For kidney and urinary infections and the prevention of stone formation, cornsilk is another natural remedy that has been used throughout the ages. Although the tassels of the corn cob are normally discarded, they have proven to be effective in the treatment of kidney related problems.
- Bearberry leaf tea is another method used for kidney cleansing and may help prevent all kinds of kidney related disorders.
- The dandelion is another herb with a rich history with the Native Americans. The roots and leaves of the dandelion can be boiled and used for treating kidney disease.
Blood poisoning, known as septicemia is one of the top ten killers in America. This usually occurs as a complication of a bacterial infection most commonly resulting from lung or urinary tract infections. As a result of this infection, blood pressure drops and major organs and body systems can stop working properly because of poor blood flow.
Natural and Herbal Remedies for Septicemia
- As of recently, Green Tea is being touted as the miracle cure for septicemia. Apparently, green tea contains a therapeutic compound that enables it to reverse the fatal effects of sepsis.
- Echinacea, popularly known as the “immune system protector” is an often prescribed home remedy for sepsis. It is easily available in the form of tea and has made its way into the list of top ten natural products used by patients in the US.
- B Vitamins, including B6 and B12 help boost liver function as well as enable the rapid increase in red blood cells thereby leading to fast recovery from septicemia.
- Another oft-prescribed natural remedy for patients suffering from Septicemia is Vitamin C. Including 1000-2000 mg of Vitamin C in your daily diet helps to strengthen the immune system and act as a powerful source of antioxidant.
- Garlic has long been known as a potent antibiotic and a powerful bacteria killer. As a treatment for septicemia, it gets rid of viruses and strengthens the immune system.
Stress, Anxiety and Depression
Stress is often the silent killer that leads to all kinds of physical ailments. Combined with anxiety and depression it makes the list of top 10 health problems being faced by America. While there are many different types of treatments for improving mental health, herbal remedies are often the safest way to combat these disorders.
Natural and Herbal Remedies for Stress, Anxiety and Depression
- Chamomile tea tops the list with its calm inducing and comforting properties. This unique herb was worshipped by the ancient Egyptians for its medicinal properties and has today become one of the most popularly prescribed herbal teas for stress and anxiety.
- Another herbal tea with a rich history of treating mental illnesses is St John’s WortTea. This unique blend has been used to ease common tensions and nervous unrest by supporting emotional health.
- There is evidence to suggest that Panax Ginseng helps to enhance mental function and promotes over all wellbeing by stimulating the immune system and increasing overall vitality.
- Noted Arab physician Avicenna said “lemon balm makes the heart merry and joyful, and strengthens the vital spirits.” This historic claim has been further solidified by recent studies that showed patients given lemon balm improved mood, boosted both calmness and alertness.
- There is well documented evidence to suggest that Kava Root, hailing from the South Pacific region, is effective in the treatment of anxiety related disorders. Kava root is available in capsule and tablet form for easy consumption.
So there you have it, a comprehensive list of natural and herbal remedies that are most commonly used for the Top 10 Most Common Health Problems in America. While nature harnesses within in itself these magnificent miracles, it is nonetheless extremely important to consult a professional doctor, dietician or herbalist and conducting proper research before adopting any of these remedies.