THE Queen has rewritten the rule book to accommodate Meghan Markle because the American was keen to start royal life before she got married, according to royal experts.
Ms Markle, 36, has carried out a string of royal engagements with her fiancee Prince Harry – beating the number carried out by any other royal bride to be including the Lady Diana Spencer and the then Kate Middleton.
It is just under a month to go before Ms Markle will wed Prince Harry in a ceremony at Windsor Castle on May 19, but she has appeared by his side several times at events of late.
Yesterday, the loved up couple attended a reception in London to meet the Australian prime minister ahead of the Invictus Games in Sydney later this year.
Harry, 33, and his bride-to-be met servicemen and women from both Britain and Australia, some of whom have previously competed in the international sporting event.
The former Suits actress has also been at Harry’s side for official engagements in Birmingham, Ireland, Brixton in London and Wales.
The Queen showed her graciousness once again when she invited Ms Markle to spend Christmas at Sandringham in Norfolk, an honour that Kate, Duchess of Cambridge did not receive when she was engaged to Prince William.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told The Evening Standard: “The royal rule book was changed to allow her to spend Christmas at Sandringham, the first royal fiancée to do so.
“A committed feminist, she is proof of a more inclusive royal family who will unquestionably benefit from her worldwide profile.
“Her chemistry with Harry is perfection, the two are already making their mark together and she can’t wait ‘to hit the ground running’ to help others in the causes she believes in.”Royal expert Phil Dampier told the paper that the Queen is moving with the times.
He said: “These are very different times. Being at Sandringham at Christmas and doing all of these pre-wedding jobs would not have happened 20 or 30 years ago.
“The Queen as always is pragmatic and realises Meghan is desperate to get started and make a contribution.”
Meghan will have carried out five engagements in just six days by next week Wednesday, the Evening standard reports. She is set to join Harry at the 25th anniversary memorial service for murdered black teenager Stephen Lawrence on April 23.
The American got engaged to Harry in November 2013. At that time, she hinted in their bubbly interview together that she wanted to hit the ground running and dedicate her life to championing good causes.
She said: “I think what’s been really exciting as we talk about the transition of this out of my career but into the role is that as you said the causes that have been very important to me, I can focus even more energy on.
“Because very early out of the gate I think you realise once you have access or a voice that people are willing to listen to with that comes a lot of responsibility, which I take seriously.
“And at the same time I think in these beginning few months and now being boots on the ground in the U.K. I’m excited to just really get to know more about the different communities here, smaller organisations we’re working on the same causes that I’ve always been passionate about under this umbrella. And and also being able to go around the commonwealth I think is just just the beginning of that.”
Prince Harry also described them as a “fantastic team” who wanted to achieve great change among people who needed help.
He said: “For me, it’s an added member of the family. It’s another team player as part of the bigger team and you know for all of us, what we want to do is be able to carry out the right engagements, carry out our work and try and encourage others in the younger generation to be able to see the world in the correct sense rather than perhaps being just having a distorted view.”