Coconut oil is a widely used ingredient for homemade beauty products, sunscreens and body creams. In fact, it has also been added recently in many hair products.
Coconut oil is rich in fats, vitamins, and minerals which are good for the human body. However, coconut oil is not limited to hair; it is used in the preparation of cosmetic soaps and creams, and in Asian countries, it is also used for preparing various kinds of food and salads.
Coconut oil has been in use as hair oil for thousands of years, and it has shown remarkable results. Certain components in it keep the hair strong, nourished and protected from the effects of premature aging, like baldness and excessive hair loss. Let’s see what some of those benefits to hair are, and what components of coconut oil are responsible!
You should use coconut oil for your hair for the following benefits:
1. Prevents Hair Loss
There are many reasons why hair loss can occur:
- Fungal infections
- Inflammatory skin conditions
- Nutritional deficiency
But coconut oil can address these health causes. It is rich in healthy fats and works by nourishing scalp and hair shaft, fighting skin infections, and reducing inflammation.
How to Use?
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sage oil into 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Cook the mixture on low heat until they are entirely mixed
- Allow it to cool and test it on your hand. Make sure it is just warm enough without causing burn.
- Apply the mixture on head before going to bed. Cover your hair using a shower cap.
- Wash in the morning and then style normally.
2. Helps in Repairing Hair Damage
When coconut oil was compared with sunflower and mineral oil, it was found to be the best natural oil that prevents hair damage. In fact, studies show that it is the only oil that helps in minimizing protein loss while strengthening shaft.
The oil can also be used on the split ends for repairing them. But for best results, you should trim split ends once in 6 weeks.
3. Gives you Smooth Hair
You can have frizzy hair due to excess dryness in the hair shaft and cuticles. Because of its hydrophobic property, coconut oil repels water while retaining moisture in the hair shaft.
How to Use?
- Apply coconut oil 10 to 15 minutes prior to washing and your hair will become smooth and silky.
- The oil can also be applied lightly to the split ends for ease of brushing through.
- When it comes to styling, all you need to do is use little bit of the oil for taming flyaways and slicking down your hair for creating smooth updos.
4. Eliminates Dandruff
One of the most commonly occurring chronic scalp conditions, dandruff involves the flaking of the scalp’s skin. It occurs due to many reasons including fungus or dry skin.
Coconut oil is capable of treating dandruff through hydration of dry skin and its anti-fungal infection properties.
How to Use?
- Mix castor oil and coconut oil in 1:1 ratio and massage on your scalp
- Leave it on your scalp for half hour and then wash off
- If you have severe dandruff, this method should be used whenever you wash your hair
5. Helps in Killing Lice
Lice are commonly found in young kids. But the commonly available lice treatments are nothing less than highly toxic and cause damages to hair and burns to scalp. The oil is usually used for treating lice in small kids, as it helps in hydrating skin and doesn’t irritate it. It can also fight pesticide-resistant lice.
It works by coating the lice and causing slow suffocation. It also prevents lice and eggs from hanging on your hair shafts.
How to Use?
- Apply coconut oil evenly on your hair and leave for several days
- Once it is absorbed into the hair and skin, apply more
- Create a potent lice formula by adding few drops of tea tree oil into coconut oil
6. Prevents Hair Graying
Hair get their color from the pigment cells at the base of the hair follicle. But with aging, these pigment cells die at an increasing rate or start losing their efficiency.
Coconut oil helps in preventing hair graying by nourishing the scalp and protecting the hair follicle base. When you have healthier hair follicle base, you are able to prevent hair graying for a longer period.
How to Use?
Take coconut oil and lemon and massage the hair for 15 minutes every day.
Make sure to use coconut oil, otherwise you are missing out big!
In fact, most of the herbal or organic shampoos have some coconut oil. But if your shampoo doesn’t have it, you could just add some and get all its benefits.
Thus, there’s no denying that coconut oil is the ultimate beauty product!