Exercise and regular strength training are an important part of staying healthy. For women over 40, cardiovascular health is essential. Sometimes it can be hard to figure out which exercises are the best for staying in shape.
These weekly exercises will help to improve circulation and strength without putting too much strain on your muscles. Concentrating on form rather than speed during these workouts is the key to success.
Using slower movements and focusing more on getting your body in the right position will lower the risk of injury. As the body tends to slow down its healing process after 40, this is essential to a good work out. These 8 exercises are a must in that regard.
1. Tai Chi: Not only is Tai Chi incredibly relaxing, it is also a very low impact exercise that can help you concentrate on the movements of your body.
2. Squats: A classic workout that does not require a machine yet focuses on form, squats can be beneficial for strengthening your legs and your glutes.
3. Low impact cardio: Using an elliptical machine for regular interval training is a great way for women over 40 to maintain a healthy heart.
4. Lunges: Lunges are a great way to improve your leg muscles and keep them toned. There are several variations on this exercise that work on different parts of the leg.
5. Yoga: A classic exercise that involves stretching and maintaining form, yoga is an excellent choice for women over 40. It is also highly meditative and relaxing.
6. Strength training: Weight lifting doesn’t need to be so intense. Even just doing some bicep curls with 2-pound barbells can help improve muscle tone.
7. Planks: Planks are a great way to train for stamina and strength. Like lunges, there are many different plank variations that can build strength in different muscles.
8. Leg lifts: Leg lifts are a great exercise to work on keeping your form correct. They also help to improve strength in muscle areas that are often hard to work out.